Skip to main content



What I learned from "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain"

When I decided to make a serious, deliberate effort to improve my drawing skills (just like when I decided to learn sewing for real), I chose Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards as my guide. I approached it like taking a college-level drawing class and Edwards was my professor. For six weeks, every Monday through Thursday from 2:30 to 4:00 p.m. I'd sit down with the book and read through it until there was an exercise to do. I stopped to do each exercise, and made sure there were no distractions so it got my full attention.

In college I was an art major, and took as many art classes as I could. Whenever there was room for an elective, it was an art class. So it's not like I was totally unfamiliar with drawing. But apparently I was very, very rusty! Even with all of the tips and videos I've been soaking up over the last year, they paled in comparison to what this book was able to teach me. Things like:
you get better by doing the work, not thinking about …

Latest Posts

Value studies Day 1

Drawing fur with colored pencils practice

100 gesture studies complete - Day 17

Gesture studies Day 16

Gesture drawings Day 15

Gesture drawings Day 14

Value study of Bosco my Dachshund

Gesture drawings Day 13

Pear value studies and thoughts about art education

Gesture drawings Day 12

Gesture drawings Day 11